Year Incorporated: 1890
GMA District 4
Population 274 (2010 Census Profile)
Turin is located in eastern Coweta County.
As of the census of 2000, there were 165 people, 66 households, and 51 families residing in the town. The population density was 131.5 people per square mile (51.0/km²). There were 68 housing units at an average density of 54.2 per square mile (21.0/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 89.09% White and 10.91% African American. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.21% of the population.
There were 66 households out of which 24.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.5% were married couples living together, 22.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 22.7% were non-families. 21.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.50 and the average family size was 2.86.
Southside Cycling Club member Serge Remillard enjoying the park.
The city opened a bike park in the spring of 2015. It was developed to help provide a resting place for the many bicyclists riding through the town. It is located at the rear of the Community Building on Turin Road. There are picnic tables, a bike pump, trash receptacles, a porta potty and the bike racks are on order. Many cyclists have publicly thanked the town for its generosity.
The Turin community came into being in 1830, when a group of early pioneers settled in the eastern section of the county about one mile south of the site of the present township and called it Preston.
In 1832 Captain Charles Leavell built the home owned by Mrs. JD Johnson. In 1833 another fine home was built by Richard Leavell and willed to his stepson, Dr GH Page.
Other early settlers from South Carolina who came in the early 1800's were the Dominicks, Shells, Pages, Coles, Summers, Linchs, Tenchs, Eddys, Couches, Sibleys and the Carmichaels.
The Carmichaels came in 1852 and settled about 2 miles south of Turin, building the home that eventually became occupied by Mrs. Rhodes H Johnson. The Lynch family came about 1852 and the Johnsons settled about 3 miles south of Turin around 1855.
During the War Between the States, many men and boys left home to fight for the South's cause. Major William B Shell was a delegate to the Milledgeville Convention that voted for secession. Colonel George H Carmichael, of Company A, 7th Georgia Regiment, was with General Lee when he surrendered at Appomattox, Virginia, on April 9, 1865.
Following the end of the war, construction began on the road from Griffin to Chattanooga, and the line was completed in Coweta County, from Griffin to Carrollton in 1870. This 60 mile railroad was operated for many years under the name Savannah, Griffin and North Alabama Railroad Company. Part of the capital for its construction was the purchase of stock in the new railroad. It was built to connect Coweta and Carroll counties with the main line of the Central Railroad and Banking Company at Griffin, and was considered a most important feeder or the line.
The Leavells and the Pages and others gave land for the town, for schools, churches, and for the railroad right of way. Incorporated into the Page grant were two stipulations- that there would always be passenger service on the trains, and that no alcoholic beverage would ever be sold in Turin. Interesting to note that these stipulations were changed as time passed.
The town plan for Turin was drawn up that same year, 1870. Preston was moved to the present site to be near the railroad. Its name was changed to Turin, named after Turin, Italy. Turin was officially chartered in 1890.
The first house built was owned by the Page sisters. Other early homes were the Hunnicutts, (Edwin Brown home), Dominick (Crunkleton), Harrison Summers (Allen Smith), Hardy (Jimmy Shell), Glynn Bailey, and the Hunter home.
In 1881 many brick stores were built. Turin was growing quickly into a thriving agricultural town. Cotton was king as much was grown and ginned during this era. Mrs. GH Page contributed land for the erection of Turin Academy. Prof. AS Jones was head of the school in 1884. The post office was established in 1890. A new Post Office was built on the corner of Hwy 16 and Main Street (South Hunter) in 1986. Cotton was sold in Turin. In 1903, the Turin Banking Company was established and supposedly held a capital account of $150,000.00. Ed Dominick founded this bank and served as president. He also built the second Turin cotton gin in 1920.
During the early 1900's, Turin had four general merchandise stores, one of which featured a millinery department with a full time milliner ( a hat maker). There was a grocery store, a hardware store, a drug store, a pressing club (laundry shop), a barber shop, a blacksmith shop and two doctors. John Henry Bailey was the bailiff of the jail . The Methodist Church moved from Tranquil to Turin in 1886. The Baptist Church was organized in 1890.The land for Turin Memorial Gardens, located across from the Baptist Church was donated as a memorial for John Dawson Johnson by his wife.
In 1917, County Agent B M Drake, who lived in Turin imported Crimson Clover from Italy. It can still be seen growing along Hwy 16.The school at Turin was one of five that were consolidated into Starr High School in 1921. John B Hunnicutt initiated the study of agriculture in the common schools of Georgia and wrote a book that was used in the schools. He brought Bermuda grass to Turin.
Good times did not continue for Turin. The bank closed in 1927. Both the Depression and the Boll Weevil hit and Turin almost folded. In September of 1936, Dr Stovall noted in his ledger, "Plenty of people in town but nobody seems to have any money.". Fortunately, to everyone's pleasure and convenience, Highway 16 was paved around 1937. This road from Griffin to Newnan helped the economy begin to pick up. In the 1940's and 50's an active community club was organized. There were Ladies Home Demonstration Clubs, , Little League Ball Clubs, Brownie Clubs and Boy Scout Troops. A community center was built for activities and was used as a voting precinct.
From 1930 to 1950, R H Johnson, L H Johnson and J D Johnson engaged in peach farming. There was a reported record peach crop in 1940. Fifty five cars of Elbertas graded No 1 were shipped from Turin.
One of the greatest improvements to the town was the completion of the water system. The water was turned on in September 1965 for both Turin and Sharpsburg. The town boasted of road and utility improvements. There were new homes built. Turin had an active block plant, a lumber yard, a fire station, a fertilizer store, grocery store, TV repair shop, lawn mower shop and a Post Office built in 1986 where it currently resides.
In 2009, Turin refurbished an old school house which became the current and Town Hall. This historic resource was Turin's Walter B. Hill Industrial School, named in honor of the special Supervisor of African American Education. This school originally opened in 1927 with three teachers and 80 plus students. In fact, the school was the only vocational school for African Americans in Coweta County until it was consolidated in 1953. The New Turin Town Hall officially opened in this special schoolhouse with a BBQ in March of 2011.
Turin's first subdivision opened in 2005. Many businesses have grown in Turin. In 2015, approximately 30 plus or minus businesses have been operating in Turin with current business licenses. This small town has continued to grow and thrive throughout time.